Monday, June 30, 2008

Iron Girl and Dukes Fest

This weekend was a BUSY weekend to say the least!

The highlight of the weekend was the Iron Girl triathalon. I'd registered to partipate before I knew I was pregnant and found out the same week I reigistered that I was expecting... but I knew I still wanted to compete and thankfully my Doc gave me the go ahead!

Julia and I got up Saturday (my sister-in-law came in town from Santa Monica, CA) and headed to Lake Lanier Islands (where the triathalon was) to get our numbers and set up our bikes for Sunday. We got some cool free stuff (I always love free junk- thanks Dad!) in addition to the timing chips and swim caps (sexy).

Sunday was a VERY early morning. We were up by 4:45am and out the door by 5:15am... Seth drove us down (Julia's husband) and served as our pack mule and camera man for the day (thank God- he was a huge help!). Turns out the parking was 1/2 mile from the set up area. Once to the start line we had to set up our transition areas (change of clothes etc). Then we waited until the start. We started according to age groups. Julia was the first time group to start... I was the last- ugh!

The swim was first...

Then Bike.... Then Run....

I expected to finish in around 2 hours and 30 minutes. It took me 2 hours and 32 minutes. Not bad. 750 woman started and 632 crossed the finish line.

Here are some pictures from the event.


This is the tranistion area: Julia and I with our numbers ready to go!Finally... crossing the finish line!After the long walk back to the car with our bikes.So I'd say not bad for being 4 months pregnant ... and Julia had a terrible foot injury prior to this. I can't wait to do this again next year. And hopefully compete in an Olympic length one (probably after this baby is born!). But I still have the Peactree Road Race this Friday!



Saturday Chip and I went to Dukes Fest... It is the 30th anniversary of the Dukes of Hazzard. One of the best shows on tv EVER! Chip & I own every season on DVD (including the season with Coy and Vance... and the 2 Dukes movies- the reunion and Dukes goes to Hollywood) - so needless to say we both LOVE the show. Dukes Fest is every June but it is always held at the Bristol Motorspeedway so we've never been able to get there. But this year- it was in Atlanta! After all Georgia is where Hazzard County actually was! And Conyers (where I grew up) and Covington were the orginal filming locations during season 1!



Ok ok- so back to Dukes fest... It was $20 - PER PERSON to get in so after arriving at the gate and learning of such a high admission my hopes were even higher for a neat event. Boy was I diasppointed! It was almost like a car show only every car was exactly the same.All of the stars of the show were there (of course not all at once) got a few pictures of Enus and Rosco... But all in all it really stunk. We did meet up with our friend Jody and his wife Danielle...And I even got a few pictures of some really bad Daisy Duke wanna-bes! LOL!

2 comments:

Karen said...

WAY TO GO!!

Sorry DukesFest was a bomb! That stinks. Boooooooo ... At least you got some good pictures! LOL!

Anonymous said...

bad daisy dukes?? ok,, the one by the so called 'new' charger,,lol,, the other?? well,, ummm, she won the daisy contest,, yeah, thats me walking with me,
(not bad after two kids either ! ;) ) and we have many great photographs, (she is a professional photographer and she does photographic artwork, we gave a couple to john(schneider) that weekend.she does archival prints also let me know if you'd like to see some samples, my daisy is talented ,just like the real daisy !! lol
derrick
hrdchgr69@aol.com