Monday, June 9, 2008

Peachtree Road Race!

IT FINALLY CAME! My number! Running the Peachtree has become one of my favorite July 4th traditions. Rebecca and I started it a few years back and swore we would run each year (but both missed last year- Trey was only a few weeks old and I had been up all night- good times). So this year we are back on! The second year we ran Chip and his buddy Josh joined us and so it had become the 4 of us for a few years. This year however Rebecca's parents are joining her along with our friend Kim and her boyfriend. I am really looking forward to running it this year since it'll be the first year for me to run as a "serious runner". My goal is to complete it in one hour or less.
The Peachtree Road Race is such a fun event and draws people from all over the world. In fact it is the largest 10k in the world! This year over 8,000 people were turned down for numbers. I try telling people how fun the run is (even if you are not a runner- MANY people walk). The entire route is jammed with people cheering you each step. There are also bands playing, bars handing out beer, and everything in between you can think of- the Catholic Church even has a Priest throwing Holy Water on the runners! I can't really explain the energy the surronds this event- but I took along my camera in 2006 so here are some pictures to share!
Me, Josh, Rebecca, and Chip


Holy water ahead...
The crowd heading up Peachtree towards "cardiac hill"

Rebecca and I had to stop for a picture with the USA beer drinking teamGOD BLESS AMERICA!

1 comment:

H said...

The Peachtree is fun. I never set a time goal because it's more like.. a moving party than a race.

I have my number too-- and unless something happens in the next two weeks (I'm currently in my 35th week of pregnancy), I'll be there for my 9th straight year!