Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The President!

This afternoon President Bush came to Atlanta to attend a fund raiser for Senator Saxby Chambliss and to give a community service award to a wonderful woman from Athens. I figured he'd be landing at Dobbins (which is about 10 miles north of where we live) and heading to where ever the fund raiser was- it wasn't until around 3pm when Chip and I left on an errand that I realized the fund raiser was here in Buckhead. The presence of Atlanta Police and GA State Patrol gave it away. After we got home I loaded Trey in the stroller and we walked just down the street where most of the police and news crews were parked. We were just in time- as they began to shut down the streets (Including the interstate). People began to gather in the parking lots and as close to the streets as we were allowed.

Chip & I had heard the President speak a few years back and Chip had even gotten to be a part of the security surrounding his arrival once- but I'd never seen the Presidents motorcade. So I was truly excited (and of course being such a supporter of President Bush made it even better). Trey could sense something exciting was happening but he didn't know what...
It happened really fast. The streets were all closed- then came a few police motorcycles, then what looked like 30 police motorcycles together, a few more police cars... and then THE PRESIDENT! Following were probably 30 more vehicles- everything from an ambulance to something that looked like it had a place for a gunner out of the top.

People cheered as he went by and just like that... he was gone! I got some pictures... none of which turned out great. I wanted the picture but at the same time I wanted to actaully watch his car drive by and it was hard to both of those and cheer and tell Trey that the President was in the car. But here is what I got:
Just before the President drives by- all the streets are closed- this is a very busy intersection especially at 5pm!)

My luck! I take the picture just as President Bush's car passes behind an APD cruiser!! LOL! (so the black car right behind it-thats him)

By the time the camera recovered to take another picture he was already turning left at the intersection- but you can still see his car!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Oh, wow! How exciting!!

Unknown said...

Awesome. I saw a presidential motorcade once in Washington, D.C. and back then they didn't have as much security. Is that a waitress from the OK Cafe?